The long-anticipated boxing match between between the great prize-fighter Floyd Mayweather and UFC star Conor McGregor will go ahead on August 26 in Las Vegas.
Both fighters announced the event on Wednesday, after months of speculation about whether Mayweather would return at the age of 40 to face a mixed martial arts fighter who has never had a pro boxing fight.
McGregor had earlier tweeted that “THE FIGHT IS ON” to hint that a public announcement was imminent
UFC president Dana White, appearing on SportsCenter, said the fight would be at the boxing junior middleweight weight limit of 154 pounds, the fighters would use 10-ounce gloves and the card would take place at T-Mobile Arena, August 26 in Las Vegas.
The Floyd Mayweather vs Conor McGregor Fight will be broadcast on Showtime PPV.
“We’ve been in negotiations for a while,” White told SportsCenter. “Negotiations went smooth. Floyd is surrounded by some smart people, and we got this thing done. The impossible deal is now done.”
Source: espn.com, sports.yahoo.com, telegraph.co.uk, independent.co.uk